Der Amerikanische Urlauber

Friday, March 04, 2005

Willkommen aus mein neues Blog!

Well, I had a feeling it would come to this, and it did. I'm happy too, I really didn't like Writingblog.org at all. I think it's perfectly feasible to make academic posts on a much better service like Blogger or LiveJournal. Plus, at least this allows creativity.

I know I wrote an introduction before, but that mysteriously disappeared. Seriously, that server had serious problems, I think. But, I digress...

My name's Joe. I'm an International Affairs and French language major; the main function of this blog is to serve for writing for my English Composition II class at the University of South Florida in Tampa. However, when this class is over, I intend to keep it up. I already have another blog which I do in joint conduction with my Dutch friend Kim, who lives in Amsterdam. Well, she did live in Amsterdam. Now she's moving to her first home in the town of Huizen, which is actually Dutch for houses. Creative, no?

Most info about me can be found in my profile. But I'll elaborate a bit here. I absolutely love to travel and I am fascinated with learning languages. I love it. It's not even work for me, it's so much fun. I just found out today that I will be going to Italy in May, so I'm extremely excited. It's the first time I'll ever have been to Europe. The first of many, many travels abroad!

As far as language goes, I am studying German, French, and now, Italian. I also know a bit of Dutch because of my Dutch family and friends, and plan to study that more intensely in the future. I also would like to learn Spanish again someday; I took two years in HS but it was an immense waste of time. It's very hard for me to pick a favorite language, because they're all so unique. I think I like German the most, but it's so close.

That leads me to where I got the name for this blog. Urlauber is a German word for traveler, or, more literally, "holiday-maker." Amerikanische means American. So, Der amerikanische Urlauber
roughly translates to "The American Traveler." I thought it sounded cool. ;-)

Where have I traveled before? I've traveled rather extensively in the Caribbean, to Jamaica, St. Lucia, Barbados, Antigua, and the Bahamas. Jamaica in particular; in fact, I lived in Jamaica for a few months when I was 7, an experience that I like to consider shaped my life and helped lead me toward a path in international affairs. It's an extremely rewarding field to be in, I think.

I'm really cerebral, but I also love to be active. Bodybuilding is an immense part of my life, I love it. I also love to play many sports just for fun, particulary tennis and swimming. I also love cycling. I just basically like to move!

I also love European cars, particularly German cars. I am a huge car buff.

Well, that's all for now, I'll end this before it becomes an essay in its own right!

Also, feel free to comment in my blog as you'd like. I love commentary!


2 Comments:

  • At 2:18 PM, March 07, 2005, Blogger Jess : ) said…

    Hey! I like your intro. Most of the other people in the class put down what they had to and that was it..this was more interesting to read. Have you visited your friend Kim? I have only spent a few hours in Amsterdam but my cousins went last summer and said it was fantastic! I am so glad there is another International Relations Major in the class. Perhaps I will see you in some of my other classes :)~Jessica S.

     
  • At 3:24 AM, March 24, 2005, Blogger Kim or Joe said…

    Ha! Nice blog!! Kim here, the Dutch girl in the german VW Polo 1.9 SDI (brag brag..) Keep it up! I will put a link toyour blog on my kimminita.nl later on for sure. just to give you readers maybe.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home