Der Amerikanische Urlauber

Saturday, April 30, 2005

Fijne Koninginnedag!


Wij houden van oranje... en groote kronen Posted by Hello

In honor of Koninginnedag (Queen's Day), which takes place today in the Netherlands, I'm writing this post in orange instead of my usual blue. Orange is the big national color for Dutch events like this, and since I can't be there in Amsterdam with Kim partying it up, this is my way of celebrating...
Not quite the same as being there, but I've already determined I'm making it there for Koninginnedag in the near future. Don't quite know when, but when I happen to be studying abroad, even if I'm in France or wherever, I'm hopping on a train to Amsterdam.

I love how such a small country literally goes crazy on a day like this. We have displays like that here on Fourth of July, but for some reason I've always found my Fourth of Julys to be relatively boring. We always have some kind of barbecue and then it's a neighborhood contest to see which neighbor blew more money on fireworks (last year the record must have been this idiot down the street who spent $15,000 on fireworks... we enjoyed a Disney-like spectacular for over 45 minutes... Hey, I'm not complaining since I didn't have to pay, but I know I wouldn't have done it...) Some people have so many fireworks that you have to hear them going off nightly for the next two weeks...

I think the best way to spend events like this is to be around lots of other people. There's just something about the atmosphere that lends itself to making everything more festive.

Voor al mijn Nederlandse lezers, een fijne Koninginnedag!


3 Comments:

  • At 5:32 AM, May 02, 2005, Anonymous Kim said…

    Rock on! It was a great party indeed! People still haev head-aches two days later. An no, not from drinking smoking or pills only, also because of all the loud louder and loudest music all over the city of Amsterdam. You are always welcome!

     
  • At 6:52 AM, May 02, 2005, Blogger Sweety said…

    Haha! Cool, an orange post! :)) Happy Koninginnedag to you too ;)) And like Kim said, you're always welcome. Maybe we can all celebrate it together one day.

     
  • At 2:52 PM, March 31, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What does Fijne mean and what doe paas dagen mean in engish?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home