Der Amerikanische Urlauber

Monday, April 18, 2005

Hoje é dia não para mim...


This is probably the only bizarre thing that has yet to happen to me while driving... Posted by Hello

If there's one thing that really ruins my day, it's the drive I have to make every day, four days a week, down to Tampa.

In the 50 minutes (and it always takes EXACTLY 50 minutes, no matter how fast or slow I seem to drive) it takes from my driveway to the entrance to USF I wind up nearly getting in at least one or two accidents. This has ranged from a deranged old man chasing after me in his Ford Crown Victoria for 30 miles on the Suncoast Parkway, flashing his brights at me the entire way for no reason whatsoever, or some idiot who never checks their side mirrors suddenly, without warning, deciding to merge into my lane... as I'm driving right alongside them. And you have to love the people who zip in and out of lanes without signals. I'm an expert and knowing when someone is going to change lanes without a signal. Call it clairvoyance from experience.

The thing that reallllly gets under my skin though are these people who insist on driving in the left lane 10 mph UNDER the speed limit. It's bad enough when they do this in the right lane, but when it's a two lane road and the person on the right is going slow and you're stuck behind a piece of junk that's driving 35 mph in a 50, that's incredibly irritating. Even more irritating still when they cause you to miss a traffic light, where you then have to sit behind the scrap heap for 5 minutes, as black smoke belches out the exhaust. Sitting in the car in the Florida sun with no air conditioning on so as to prevent the smoke from entering the cabin, it's not very pretty. We're the fourth most populated state in the country, yet we don't have emissions tests.

Honestly, I wish I had a car like Queen Latifah's taxi in the movie aptly named Taxi (and where the above picture comes from...) Just hit a turbo boost and go speeding by cops and everyone.

Maybe one day we'll all have FLYING cars like on the Jetsons. That would be cool.

The most amusing sight for me, and this is something exclusive to the South, are these people who just abandon their old cars on the side of the highway. Every day driving to or from Tampa, I pass at least two or three cars on the Suncoast Parkway, abandoned for someone else to tow away, collecting a bunch of bright red citations. One car stayed there for an entire week before someone moved it.

I used to love to drive, now it's become a living hell. I knew I was a city boy. Yes, taking the train or the metro and then walking seems a lot more appealing to me.

Well, in other news, today I registered for summer and fall classes, though if all goes according to my plans hopefully I won't be worrying about fall. But no matter, I always have said that the worst thing you can ever do is take something for granted. Therefore, I made sure I set myself up with some great classes for both Summer and Fall. Here it is, for all of you who are oh so curious to know as to what I will be enriching my mind with the remainder of this year:

Summer Semester B (July into early August)
  • French II- and I have this four days a week from 09:00-11:45, so it's going to be intense. I like to move quickly though. And it's great to be done with Beginning French by August.

Fall Semester 2005:

  • French III
  • French Conversation I
  • Introduction to Linguistics
  • International Issues and Actors

Yes, I'm sure to those of you who know me well, my schedule seems fitting. It's nice because I have French III and French Conversation I on MWF one following the other. I also am looking forward to Intro to Linguistics, should I be there to take it. At least, as I said, if I don't wind up in Washington, DC this fall, I'll have classes I really will enjoy.

Though then I'll still have that commute...

1 Comments:

  • At 4:08 AM, April 20, 2005, Blogger Psi-Lord said…

    I guess we ended up talking a bit about this post of yours on MSN after all. But I forgot to ask—what exactly did you mean with the title?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home