Der Amerikanische Urlauber

Monday, April 25, 2005

So much to do...


Yet so little time... Posted by Hello

I had to take a minute out and just stop and gather myself back up for a moment. It seems, with this last week of classes before the Spring semester is over, that everything has fallen on my lap at once. I have so much to do, yet I never seem to have the time to do it.

Ironically, much of the stress is from my own doing. I make so much for myself to do. I mean I'm studying three languages for christ's sake. This shouldn't be stressful, it should be fun. Yet it has been a little, because I feel, particularly with Italian, that I'm racing against the clock to learn as much as possible, and to fit as much in my head as I can within the next month before I leave for Italy. Normally I go at a fun and leisurely pace. When I come back I can resume the leisurely pace, I tell myself.

I've been disappointed that I haven't had enough time so as to continue advancing in German, though I've at least reviewed regularly so that while I'm stationary, I'm not rolling backwards.

So it's kind of like a dual between Italian and French at the moment. I just need to remind myself that once the semester is over, and before I start Summer semester in July, I have two months to actually learn quite a bit in advance. So, with that in mind, it eases the pressure.

Actually, on top of all this I have two finish my application for a scholarship. Especially if I get into Georgetown, procuring as much outside financial aid as possible is a huge obligation. So I can't not apply for an opportunity staring me right in the face. This is for the National Italian American Foundation's scholarships, they give out a lot, actually. I didn't win last year (but in a nice side effect because I did apply and get on their lists, that's how I found out about their scholarship for their Italy program, which I was fortunate enough to be chosen for)

So I have to write two essays for that now too.

I guess what I'm going to have to do is take off now tomorrow. It serves little to no purpose for me to make the commute down to Tampa to sit in a class where I won't learn anything anyway. The only reason I go anymore has been French and the gym. And I can miss shoulder and traps day this week if it means spending one day to actually get everything done and get AHEAD of the game.

Thank God this is the last week, because it really has annoyed me that I have to go, sit in classes where I don't learn anything pertinent at all, when I can spend the time learning things on my own that interest me and are of use to me.

So yes, that means today (when I wake up in oh, seven hours) I get to start work on a French composition, 25 pages of mon cahier d'exercices, two essays for the scholarship, squeezing in like an hour and a half of Italian as well, and perhaps getting French vocabulary and German review in too.

And that's on top of making time to just enjoy myself for at least an hour tomorrow, so my mind doesn't implode.

I sometimes wish I could just press a button and stop the progress of time for a while while I catch up with everything... Like in that movie, what was its name... Timestoppers or something (no, I didn't see it)

En moment je vais me couche... Je suis très fatigué...

3 Comments:

  • At 5:54 PM, April 25, 2005, Blogger Psi-Lord said…

    I hope you're not the type who falls into the traps I myself often do—there are times, when I have just too much to do, that I realise I spend more time and efforts at thinking about what I should be doing than at actually doing it. #^^# But then, I'm not really known by my personal organisation skills, hehe.

    In a way, I should be thankful for the American culture cinema exposes us to, otherwise I'd probably be totally lost about all the details of your joining Georgetown or not, getting a scholarship, and all that stuff. Things are just too different from what happens here (though I must say I'd probably feel a bit awkward if I were thrown into your system—sometimes I even think 'high school life' in the US would be enough to make me feel like having home education, hehe).

    Oh, and 25 pages?! O_o"

    (Note to self—focus, 建龙, focus... You're supposed to write a comment, not a full post on someone else's blog. =Þ)

     
  • At 8:06 PM, April 25, 2005, Blogger Joe said…

    No, that is indeed a problem of mine on occasion. Like last night I must have spent at least an hour trying to get everything lined up. Sometimes there's just so much to do it's like I don't know exactly where to start!

    Yes, American culture can indeed be stressful. Our way of doing university is totally different than the way Europeans do it, though I honestly can't say which way is better, because I don't think I'd be able to adjust easily to not having any evaluation save for a final exam. Of course, university for Europeans is often even free, which is totally unlike how it works here. You have Germans having a fit because they have to pay a lousy fee of like $100 if they want to go now. Georgetown costs like $40,000 a year for everything (including room and board). They offer substantial aid, but still, it's really something unheard of elsewhere.

     
  • At 10:59 PM, April 25, 2005, Blogger Psi-Lord said…

    They're slowly trying to change the educational system here, but right now it's probably pretty much like when I joined university for the first time (with small differences depending on the state or the school). You study during eight years of primary school and then you graduate and get a report with all your marks in all those years, for all subjects. You need that to join secondary school. So there you go, three more years of secondary school. Then you graduate and get another report. When you're in the third year, though, you can start taking entrance exams for whichever college or uni you feel like. And there you go, days and days travelling everywhere, sitting there and answering tons and tons of questions regarding everything you've studied in your life. If you pass, you're in; if you don't pass, you're not. Pretty simple. And if you do pass, it's easy to tell, because newspapers usually publish long lists with the names of everyone who did, so you just have to look yours up there. So, back to those reports, yes, you need them when you go to uni, too, but they don't really make any difference. I know people who are extremely intelligent, but who get so nervous during their entrance exams they just fail them all; on the other hand, I also know people who've never studied all their lives, then just decided to bury themselves under books in the last year, and there they go, a good score in the exams. From this point of view, I once read that the only entrance system more stressful than ours is the Japanese one. And it is stressful.

    Then, we've got two types of universities and colleges—private (which are paid, but usually looked down on) and public (which are free, and which are considered the best despite being public). It's hard as hell to enter public universities, and it's hard as hell not to enter private unis. =Þ There's indeed a lot of prejudice against private universities. When my mum was a student, they called the students of private schools 'PPP' ('Papai Pagou, Passou' = Your daddy paid it, so you passed.).

    We don't have anything like American dorms here, either. Public universities sometimes offer free lodging, but you have to prove that you can't really afford any other options, and the conditions aren't really the best around. So, if you're going to study somewhere else but in your own home town, you either go to a boarding house, or you go and find flatmates to live with. Living with other students in a flat or house is so traditional that we call those 'repúblicas' (republics), and they often even have funny witty names that sound like real republics.

    And then, once again, I wrote much more than I intended to. =Þ

     

Post a Comment

<< Home