Der Amerikanische Urlauber

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Ventotto Giorni...


Firenze Posted by Hello

To keep myself motivated for learning Italian (like I wasn't motivated enough) perhaps I should post a different picture of Italy a day, each day for the remaining 28 days until I step foot on the plane to get out of Tampa... No, that would be excessive, but once every few days may work.

I've gone from feeling so overburdened to feeling accomplished, having managed to get my two scholarship essays done this afternoon, reviewed a lesson of Pimsleur Italian I, briefly reviewed some French vocabulary, and just now sat down and finished a page composition en français. I'm really looking forward to the day when I can pound out a document in French as fast as I can in English. All told, at the moment it takes me about a good 35 minutes to get a really well done page in French, because I still don't have all the vocabulary I always need, nor am I completely sure all the time on proper structure. The big thing seems to be when to use en, dans, and à for places and when to use en for dates. But whatever, I'll figure it out (but if any of you French speakers want to advise, feel free...) Today what hung me up was spending ten minutes on French Google trying to find a map so I could find the correct French names of Caribbean islands.

I have to say, I get so jealous when I read these other sites and blogs online of expatriate students living abroad in like Paris or Austria or wherever. They're in the middle of city life, which I just love, and they're living abroad, which I have always wanted to do again since living in Jamaica (and this time actually being able to live in a country where the water and electricity operate 24/7)

It's going to be extremely new to me, going to a non-Anglophone country. I've traveled internationally before, but since most islands, save for the handful of Spanish speaking and Francophone ones, are Anglophone, I've never had the opportunity to leave my Anglophone bubble. It's going to be so great, I'm really looking forward to it! I just hope I don't choke when it comes to speaking Italian, but even if I do the first few times, by the time I'm on my own in Rome I should actually be able to break out of my self-imposed shell, which should help me in all my languages.

Speaking of which, I need to book my reservations for my hotel in Rome for the three days I'm adding on. I think I know where I'm staying, not quite sure yet though. But it has a fantastic rating, and I'm so appreciative my parents don't mind paying for it. I'm actually more interested in seeing where I'll be staying the ten days we're in the group... they stress it's budget. I'm not complaining, as long as it's clean. I've never seen anything quite like Italian hotels though. Maybe they do it elsewhere as well, but you never see hotel rooms in the United States that cram four twin beds in there! Actually, I saw one hotel online in Rome that squeezes four DOUBLE beds in one room. Eight people in a room...

I'm going to see if I can figure out enough in advance on how to post pictures to my blog via my cell phone, so you can get a wonderfully high quality shot each day! Actually, the shot I sent Kim from Disney back in December that she posted on our other blog came out excellent. I was surprised!

I was thinking also, I need to really buy a book I can actually read and enjoy for entertainment instead of purely for factual basis, which is like all I've read since college has started... Back in high school at least the assigned readings in English class were enjoyable novels (my last novel I actually read was back in January 2004 when we finished Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None) I was thinking of the DaVinci Code because everyone except me seems to have read it, including a friend of mine who I've never seen pick up a book in his life. And he read it in one day. Is it really that good? I guess I'll have to judge for myself!

I also reminded myself last night I need to make more time for entertaining myself. Sometimes I honestly need to just relax and laugh, because if I don't my mind just keeps churning at like a mile a minute in my head. So I watched my Saturday Night Live Best of Will Ferrell Vol. 1 DVD (Volume 2 comes later this week) Oh good times. My favorite recurring sketch continues to be the Culps which he did with Ana Gasteyer... the singing middle school music teachers. Oh god, it's hilarious.

While I'm in DVD mode, I was browsing Amazon and I'm not quite sure what my next DVD purchase should be. If I go French it's between Amélie and Monsieur Ibrahim. But I really think I'll go Italian, in which case since I already own my all-time favorite Ladri di Biciclette (The Bicycle Thief) maybe I'll get La Dolce Vita... Decisions, decisions...

Oh and I also need to buy a travel guidebook for Italy. Amazon.com is going to be seeing a lot of my money in the next week or so...

4 Comments:

  • At 3:40 AM, April 26, 2005, Anonymous Kim said…

    When going to Rome, read Angels and Demons, Not the Da Vinci Code, read that when going to Paris. Angels and Demons can be a good reading book as a travellers guide through Rome. Trust me! ;)

     
  • At 10:19 AM, April 26, 2005, Blogger PTA Mom said…

    Normally I'd recommend Amelie, because it was a great movie... but since you are going to Italy.. I'd get La Dolce Vita. Have a great trip.

     
  • At 4:06 PM, April 26, 2005, Blogger Joe said…

    I know you absolutely love Angels and Demons, Kim, and I trust your judgement so that's the one I'll go with first. :)

    I've never seen La Dolce Vita before, but I've always wanted to see it, so that's the investment I'll make. Actually, I also had come across this one called Divorce, Italian Style and was torn between those two, but La Dolce Vita is like one of the epitomes of great Italian film, so I'll buy that one first. Thanks for your advice, Auntie!

     
  • At 3:27 AM, April 29, 2005, Blogger Sweety said…

    I'm impressed. You;re learning Italian too?

    You know I really love the da vinci code. I thought the Bernini Mystery was all about Rome. But I'm not sure.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home