Der Amerikanische Urlauber

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Il mio posto...


When will it ever end? Posted by Hello

First, I'd like to apologize for not writing anything in nearly a week. It's partly from a drought of interesting things to write about, partly from being incredibly tied up. But I'm back on track now. And I have new material!

Well, I've been working for my mother's boss's medical practice. The company is greatly expanding, but at the same time my mother has been in charge of cleaning up much of the mess that was there before she arrived (this seems to be her forté) This mess also includes getting rid of the previous billing agency, who failed to collect over $100,000. Which we now need to find. So what this entails is paperwork. Lots and lots and lots of paperwork. I've had to photocopy receipts, check charts, and make files. And what's worse is it seems almost endless. But at least the pay is great. And I only have to do it until I start school again in July. It's nice to have a job there for when you have time, such as winter break and so on. And it's not that bad, because of the company I have, but I do wish I didn't get stuck in the office with mold growing in the air ducts.

I'm a bit of a hypochondriac, I think, because when I was told there was a bit of a mold problem, I felt my sinuses clogging up and my eyes watering. Actually, I think that was real. Everyone else at that office has a similar problem. I had a pounding migraine yesterday, but I attribute that to the wonderful Florida weather. It has rained and been unbearably humid every single day since I've been home from Italy.

I'm looking forward to starting French II in two weeks. I just need to quickly review the material and vocabulary from French I, which should take me a weekend.

On top of this, I'm preparing to start studying Dutch in a week or so. No, I'm not crazy, I kind of have it so it should work out fine; but it obviously comes after my other languages. I'm excited that I'll finally be able to communicate with my Dutch family and friends in their own language. Personally, being able to pronounce it properly will be a proud enough accomplishment for me.

My family has been trying to figure out where we'd like to go for Christmas vacation. It's the most opportune time for us to all travel. We're going away for a weekend this summer, but I still don't know where. But the winter trip is to be our big trip. My mother originally had wanted to go to Aruba, as did I; I don't know, however, if that missing girl thing in Aruba put a psychological damper on her plans or what, but she became less enthusiastic and now is throwing around Grand Cayman. I think it may have more to do with airfare. Aruba can run up to around $600-700 at that time of year. That's the only real barrier to ever traveling anywhere, is the airfare. You can find cheap fares, but it can sometimes be as fun as pulling teeth, and a lot more difficult.

I do know though that I am never willingly getting on another Continental plane... my poor posterior won't let me. 20 hours total of sitting in excruciating pain from the incredibly uncomfortable seats really put a damper on my flight experience. Though these days with airlines folding left and right, you also want to make sure you're not on one that seems likely to go bankrupt within the next six months. I don't know, it seems that international airlines tend to run better on service than the American ones. The large American carriers have gotten extremely stingy on domestic service. Continental's Tampa-Newark flights were on pathetically small and ancient aircraft; meanwhile had I had the option of flying from New York, I could have flown JetBlue and had a leather seat and satellite TV, and it's cheaper too.



2 Comments:

  • At 5:11 AM, June 22, 2005, Blogger Syl said…

    You've been bitten by the language bug! I don't know how you do it because I still have a hard time dealing with my Italian (which is a bit left out for the moment I must confess), my English (well I do have a lot of vocabulary to learn, especially stupid things like flowers, trees, some exotic animals... yay sounds like fun) and I'm considering starting German all over again (I've studied it for 5 years and well... let's say it's all forgotten or at least locked up in my head somewhere!)

    I've taken one Dutch class in college. I gave up for many reasons (that had nothing to do with Dutch at all LOL) but I always thought it was a difficult language! Good luck!

    Oh et pour ton français, en un week end tu seras prêt! D'ailleurs, j'attends toujours ma rédaction de 1000 mots ;-p

     
  • At 6:21 PM, June 24, 2005, Blogger KissMyA$$ said…

    Pretty pic...Nice post

     

Post a Comment

<< Home