Der Amerikanische Urlauber

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Il pleut... tous les jours


Florida, The Sunshine State! Posted by Picasa

Calling Florida the Sunshine State surely must have been a cruel joke to get everyone to move here, only to realize that from May to October, you're lucky to see the sun at all.

This has to be one of the worst summers I've experienced in the decade-plus I've lived here. Usually our rainy season starts here around late May, with short, yet heavy, thunderstorms in the mid-afternoon which blow over by evening. This year, however, for the past month and a half it has rained all of but 3 or 4 days, and it stays nasty out all day. Today it rained nonstop from 7 AM all the way to 6 PM. It's really not the best weather to promote a good mood. Fortunately, I just happen to be naturally cheery. Smiles all around.

Seriously, it's pretty bad when you have a darker tan in mid-December.

Normally I'd say how bad I feel for the tourists, who have their vacation time ruined by horrible weather. Except I live here and have my day to day life ruined by horrible weather. At least when you're on vacation you're away from the office or school or whatever, so you have that bit to be optimistic about. Plus it's a change of scenery.

The only way this could get any better, of course, is to have another fun hurricane season like we did last year.

I really do apologize for not providing regular updates with exciting material. My life is starting to get a bit more interesting again. I think I feel tainted after being in Italy; my daily life no longer seems as exciting to report about, when you figure a month ago I was talking about my experiences in Rome and sleeping on a chair-bed on the top of a mountain in Cinque Terre.

I miss that chair bed. I never thought I'd say that.

I actually was quite annoyed the other day, however, when I came across pictures taken by the first group, Group 1. See, 80 people in all were chosen to go on this trip, and they divided us into two groups of 40. We were group 2. Group 1 left about a week earlier than us, and we did our trip in reverse from theirs; we did Rome first, then Cinque Terre. They did Cinque Terre, then finished it off in Rome.

Well, apparently they did everything we were supposed to do, but didn't. For instance, they went to Florence, like we were supposed to, yet didn't. They stayed in a clean hostel in La Spezia, while we stayed at the top of the mountain in the Italian boonies.

However, as odd as it sounds, I'm almost kind of happy we had such a crazy experience. Because I can go and have a great time and be comfortable in Italy anytime. But I never would have had the experiences I had if not for that trip. It made for great bonding moments, and funny pictures.

After people offered me encouragement, I think I am going to pursue my dream of studying at Sciences Po in Paris. I don't know if I'll get in, but I'll try. It's amazing how it works there; if I got into their year-long international students program for international exchange students, I would actually get a diplôme from Sciences Po. That just seems amazing.

I had initially wanted to study at Sciences Po to begin with, but some professor tried talking me out of it, saying I wouldn't enjoy it, shouldn't overburden myself, blah blah blah. Nevermind the fact that my international affairs professors all supported me, I let that one bit of gloomy advice derail my plans. But now I'm planning to see about how to go about doing this. I already researched everything about Sciences Po as much as possible, now it's just a matter of finding out how USF would deal with it, and how to actually apply.

Thank God I have a French friend. Merci beaucoup, Syl. Tu es mon ami très secourable.

If anything, this trip to Italy was a godsend because I also know I'll be able to handle living in a foreign country. I already went through the anxiousness of being away from the family for an extended period of time with Italy. Modern communication also is a wonderful thing. It makes life so much easier when you can talk to your family clear on the other side of the world. It makes you less homesick. Though I do wish it were free...

6 Comments:

  • At 7:42 AM, July 01, 2005, Blogger Syl said…

    oh well that's nothing!!! :D Now I have plenty of time to help you out with your French!
    C'est un honneur de t'aider mon ami :)
    I won't rest until someone thinks you're a native French speaker! See how determined I am! lol

    Nice weather by the way! LOL It looks just like my place from October to March! LOL

     
  • At 9:16 PM, July 01, 2005, Blogger The Yankee said…

    I know what you mean about the weather in Florida. I was there 2 weeks ago and just as I arrived in Miami the sky opened and it never stopped. I had to drive to Marathon in the keys and it was quite a lousey drive and a horrid trip.

     
  • At 5:44 AM, July 03, 2005, Blogger PTA Mom said…

    It rained here for nearly two weeks straight. Now we've had great weather. You'll be great living in Paris. Just try to make a couple of English speaking friends (despite the natural inclination to think... I'll just make French friends). It will make the adjustment to living in a foreign place much easier. Good luck.

     
  • At 8:51 AM, July 04, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I can't believe it's been so long since I checked in with you! I'll have to add you to my web links so that I won't forget again so easily. :) I need to go back and read about your experience in Rome; I'm so glad that you had a good time and that it confirmed your need for more international travel!

    I can definitely understand your bored feelings once you returned to the U.S. At least with me, the things I was happy doing in the past just didn't seem as exciting anymore. Best of luck!! :)

    Zandria
    http://www.zandria.us

     
  • At 2:10 AM, October 02, 2005, Blogger jon said…

    I am looking everywhere for timberland shoes and timberland shoes, while doing so I somehow stumbled onto your timberland shoes blog. I am happy to say I learned something and will look into this further...

    Thanks for the great posts...

    jon

     
  • At 11:43 AM, October 02, 2005, Blogger jon said…

    Looking for home security camera info and perimiter cams I found our site. I agree totally!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home