Der Amerikanische Urlauber

Sunday, June 26, 2005

Le Futur...


La Sorbonne Posted by Hello

Inevitaby, as soon as I got back from Italy, my thoughts turned to my next likely sojourn to Europe... this time it's more likely than not going to be France. And not just for two weeks, no, for about five or six months!

I've been having to seriously consider from now where I'd like to study abroad and when. It's extremely important that I do so, because when you go through another institution other than USF it takes a while. USF's programs in France are abysmal, so needless to say I'm not going through them. However, one girl I happen to know from my major (both my majors actually, as she's an international affairs and French language major like I am) studied in France this past semester at L'Université Paris III, which is part of the elite university system of Paris better known as La Sorbonne.

So I pretty much decided that's what I'd like to do. Actually, my ultimate dream has been to study at L'Institut d'Études Politiques de Paris (Sciences Po), but that's very difficult to get into. But we shall see, I'll give that a shot as well.

I'm aiming to go abroad fall of my junior year, which would mean next fall 2006. I need to ensure that I'm pretty much highly proficient/near fluent/most preferrably fluent in French by then. I believe I can achieve this, as my course load is pretty much slated for me to complete all French language courses by Spring. Following that it's then actual courses in the language, like French civilization, Composition, Literature (which includes more French classics than I've ever seen... I've never even read that many classical works in English, and that's my mother tongue!)

So as far as linguistic necessities go, I should be set by then. This is necessary, because all the courses I would be taking at the Sorbonne would be in French, or perhaps another foreign language like German or Italian which I also would speak. The girl I know took two classes in Spanish besides her courses in French.

Anyway, I'll be making an appointment with an advisor for study abroad when I get back to class on July 5... for French II no less. I need to thoroughly review all the previous 7 chapitres we did in French I, plus all the vocabulary sometime tomorrow, so I can be like I never took a moment off from French at all.

It's quite exciting to me, to imagine living in Europe, in Paris no less. I believe Syl told me that the school was located in the XIII arrondissement... which when I google I get a picture of the Louvre. So that's incredible. I'll be in the same neighborhood as the Louvre. That really floors me. I have no idea at this point how you go about housing in Paris when you're a student. It's not at all like in the US where they have dorms. So I guess I'll have to find an apartment. Does your awesome landlord have any vacancies, Auntie?? I'm not worried about that anyway, because I'd find that out when I made the plans (but ask him anyway... I'd be a great tenant!)

The thing is, then when I come home I know I'll be bored out of my mind again, just as I am now. Tampa is a beautiful city, but after the excitement of Rome I almost feel tainted. I've always been a city boy. I don't plan at all to live in a suburb when I leave home, I can't stand them. But then, you really miss your family, which is the nice part about coming back home.

Anyway, until such time, I'm going to plan and dream...

6 Comments:

  • At 4:19 AM, June 26, 2005, Blogger PTA Mom said…

    I hope it all works out for you. Sciences Po has an amazing reputation, as you know. Good luck.

     
  • At 5:31 AM, June 26, 2005, Blogger The Yankee said…

    If you do I will be quite jealous!

     
  • At 5:10 PM, June 26, 2005, Blogger Syl said…

    Let's go for Sciences Po! Be ambitious man ;-) I'm sure you could get there!!

    Oh et j'espère que ton livre de français est ouvert et que tu as révisé tout ton vocabulaire! :-D I'll be checking, beware little American!!!

     
  • At 9:05 PM, June 27, 2005, Anonymous Ash said…

    You can do whatever you dream. Keep reaching.

    USF would be better if they'd actually keep their best professors, instead of doing them wrong. Petition, anyone?

    http://www.petitiononline.com/aaupusf/petition.html

     
  • At 10:02 PM, June 30, 2005, Blogger The Yankee said…

    no bloggin lately?

     
  • At 1:50 PM, July 01, 2005, Blogger Michael said…

    All I can say Joe is do it! Life's too short and the world too large to miss out on something like living somewhere else. When I first moved from Florida to Paris, my mother used to say, "nowadays, there's nowhere you can't get to in 24 hours". Pretty much right.

    By the way, there's also the American Business School of Paris that might be of interest. The contact there is: Christophe de Cassan (cdecassan@groupe-igs.org) and of course, I'm sure they have a website.

    Good luck!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home