Der Amerikanische Urlauber

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

My Surprise!


My car! Well, just like mine... I need to get my pics loaded up... Posted by Hello

I had wanted to wait and get my own personal pictures up, but since everyone has been inquiring...

Yes, my surprise was a Volkswagen Jetta! A car I had wanted for 3.5 years now... and I finally get it while I'm in Italy. Here's how my family wound up pulling this surprise off.

My car, or rather my former car, was a 1998 Mitsubishi Mirage sedan, which I got 3 years ago. My sister had just gotten her license in April and she needed a car as well. So I was told I was going to have to share mine for the time being. Which really didn't make me happy because I pampered that little car, but I figured that's OK, I guess I'll have to deal with that.

While I was in Italy, my parents decided to surprise me when I came home with the Jetta, which they knew I loved. I love European cars (I was in heaven in Italy seeing all the cars they don't have here) and particularly German cars. I really have a special affinity for Volkswagens and Audis. But I'll cut to the chase.

So they bought this car, a 2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS (by the way for any European readers, it's known as the Bora there), reflex silver with gray interior, with sunroof, Monsoon sound system... basically it has everything except the leather package. When I got home Sunday, they had done an extensive number of things around the house and yard, and one of these things was they had the garage door fixed. It had broken in 2002, and we had never been able to open it again since then. So my mom hands me the garage door opener, and says to open it.

So I press the little button, and when the thing opens... and there it was. And I, having come off of traveling like halfway around the world and going on 24 hours by then with no sleep (it was already like 5 AM Rome time, which I was still running on) I really was just in shock. It honestly didn't even hit me until Monday.

And since then I've been really getting a kick out of driving it. My old car would shimmy like a tin can when I drove over 50 mph. This thing is so incredibly solid that I've found myself going 20 mph over the speed limit and not realizing it! So I have to be careful, because Floridian State Troopers like to hand out tickets as much as Santa Claus likes to hand out toys.

It's just really remarkable, and I can't even express how appreciative and happy I've been. And it just looks, runs, and feels brand new. This is certainly going to make the commute to Tampa come July when I start summer classes that much more pleasant!

I honestly had so much excitement on Sunday, I think that had to be the most eventful day I've had in some time! I'll also post some pictures up of my car when I get my Italian pictures up tomorrow.

7 Comments:

  • At 9:24 AM, June 09, 2005, Blogger Psi-Lord said…

    Now that is a really, really cool surprise! Lucky bastard you are. ;) Now I know why it's so hard to find you online in the usual time—you're just driving around all day long! Hehehe.

    And thanks for mentioning it's called Bora in Europe—that's its name here, too. It seems we've been importing it from Mexico since 2000. It's not really popular around here, though, mostly because it's very expensive (the last information about its price I had gave it as costing around US$25,400, and mentioned that only 17 Boras are sold per month in Brazil).

    Although I myself prefer more compact cars, there's no denying it's a beautiful machine you have there. =) Take good care of her, hehe.

     
  • At 5:17 PM, June 09, 2005, Blogger KissMyA$$ said…

    Awesome car it's cute but i'll stick to a Range Rover lol

     
  • At 9:42 PM, June 09, 2005, Blogger Joe said…

    Well, you want to buy me a Range Rover, I'd gladly take it. ;-)
    (and then I'd sell it and buy an Audi S4 ;) )

     
  • At 2:45 AM, June 10, 2005, Blogger Sweety said…

    Awesome! Cool car!

     
  • At 12:41 AM, June 13, 2005, Blogger Michael said…

    Joe, I love the story about the car and your trip. A native of Florida I also like seeing how you view the world through your eyes. Will you ever end up moving overseas after your love of languages and visit?

     
  • At 9:32 PM, June 13, 2005, Blogger Joe said…

    Michael, thanks for your comments! It's great to have a fellow Floridian reading my blog, and I'm going to be checking out yours now too. Now between you and Auntie I'll be reading of two Americans in Paris daily.

    I definitely would like to go overseas; my thing is I don't know quite yet what career path I want to follow. I have criteria, which is I want to work in the international sector, utilize my language skills, and travel. But I have a very strong and diverse range of interests, from international law to international business, television journalism, and possibly being an interpreter. I just don't quite know yet! And that drives me nuts, because there's so many options and I'd at least like to have a better idea!

    I'm definitely going to be studying abroad, and it would be in France because French is my major and so it would best suit me to go there. I also would have loved to study in Germany, or Italy, because I also speak those languages and would get a lot out of that, but I guess France it is!

     
  • At 4:14 AM, June 14, 2005, Anonymous Kim said…

    See! Everything just HAS to be bigger and better in de US ;) You beat my 99 VW Polo with a huge Bora! Lucky bastard you!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home