Der Amerikanische Urlauber

Saturday, August 13, 2005

La Fin...

Well I made it through French II on speed really well, I found my final grade today... a 98% so I'm quite happy. And I think my vocabulary nearly tripled in the course of six weeks, so that's great as well.

It's wonderful to have two weeks off before I go back for another fifteen, however I seem to be one of those restless type A people that just can't sit idlly and not do anything. I was miserable today. It rained, so I was just pretty much home doing nothing. Well, not exactly anything. Being the enterprising individual I am, I decided to get a head start on fall by reading one of my books for my International Ethics class, Five Uneasy Pieces: American Ethics in a Globalized World, which deals with the ethicality of American foreign policy. It's a really easy read, only 140 something pages, so I figured, why not? For those of you who know me well enough, this kind of stuff is right up my alley.

I figure while I have enough time, I'll get my application and resumé done for Washington. However, I also may be going to Washington for extra time that I didn't yet plan, and here's why.

This class in ethics I'm taking in two weeks is taught by a woman who also happens to be in the top level of administration over at MacDill Air Force Base in Tampa; in May, there's going to be an opportunity for 10 students to go with her up to DC (and this counts as a class) for a week that would entail visiting the Pentagon and CIA and meeting with various officials and dignitaries from around the world. And I've been heavily touted as someone to go, which was a surprise to me and of course which is a huge honor. I wish I had more information and when I find out about it I'll definitely write more. But I definitely find that cool. I can only imagine, however, the security clearance checks I'll be going through for this one... They'll probably be calling childhood friends asking for character references for all I know!

At times, like now when things are relatively dull, it's nice to keep the eye on the future.

On another note, I'd like to congratulate Sweety, whose blog I read regularly and who regularly comments here (dank je ;-) ) because she's expecting a baby! I'm so excited to see what cute little Dutch name the baby winds up with! Hartelijke Gelukwensen!

7 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home